Magnetic Field Shielding & Electromagnetic Field Shielding
Magnetic fields are generated by permanent magnets, electromagnets, electric motors and electrical distribution systems. When these magnetic fields need to be contained or controlled, EEP can design and install shielding.
Magnetic Field Shielding Applications:
Shielding against the magnetic fields created by MRI scanners is extremely important in order to ensure that:
- MRI scanners are unaffected by nearby ferrous masses such as a lift or vehicles
- Medical equipment in an adjacent area can function without interference
- Shielding ensures a safe environment is created for people fitted with electronic implants such as a pacemaker
Electromagnetic fields (EMF) created by power distribution sub-stations, transformers, power lines etc also pose potential problems and shielding against these magnetic fields can be necessary for:
- Commercial facilities - ensuring office equipment functions properly and critical processes e.g. data processing can take place without risk from electromagnetic interference.
- Industrial premises - shielding provides 'clean' test areas as well as ensuring office equipment functions correctly.
- Apartment blocks - ensuring there is no magnetic interference to domestic electronic equipment as well as protecting against potentially harmful EMF side effects for occupants.
EEP can assist designers or building owners and users by:
- Providing an input during preliminary shielding design phase
- Proposing remedial actions for existing shielding installations
- Undertaking Electromagnetic Field surveys or pre-installation studies on EMF effects
- Designing and installing an appropriate shielding solution
Prior to commencing the design of the physical magnetic field shielding installation, EEP can plot the magnetic lines of force to verify where the magnetic field strength is located. By understanding the field shape, EEP is able to optimise the shield's design.